Myanmar

Myanmar Boosts Travel Restrictions, Locks Down Village, After First COVID-19 Cases — Radio Free Asia

Myanmar Boosts Travel Restrictions, Locks Down Village, After First COVID-19 Cases — Radio Free Asia


Myanmar has locked down a village in Chin State, where the country’s first confirmed coronavirus patient lived, while a second person who tested positive was moved to an infectious disease family in Yangon, health authorities and local lawmakers said on Tuesday. Hospital.

The government said the first confirmed case was a man returning from the United States who reported feeling unwell six days after arriving in Myanmar.

The second confirmed case was a traveller from England who suspected he had contracted the virus from someone at a formal meeting he attended. He is being treated at Waibarji Hospital in North Okrapa Township, Yangon.

A local government minister with whom he came into contact has been ordered to quarantine for 14 days, authorities said.

Both patients appear to be doing well but are still being monitored, health authorities reported.

A day after the government announced the country’s first two confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection, Chin State Assembly Chairman Zobwe announced that communications had been cut off from a village in Tedim town, where an infected person was hosting party.

Those who had been in contact with the man were considered potential carriers of the virus and were being monitored, he said. Authorities are also monitoring motor vehicle drivers in the area.

Prices of basic necessities have soared as activity in and out of the region ceased.

“In the town of Tedim, which has been visited by coronavirus patients, the price of rice has risen sharply and people are faced with the sudden closure of shops,” said CS Mong, who works with local civil society organisations.

But Chin State Social Affairs Minister Bao Lun Minsheng assured the public of the supply of goods.

“The government plans to continue to provide the most important items to avoid shortages,” he said.

Also on Tuesday, Myanmar’s foreign ministry issued further precautionary measures to limit the spread of the virus, requiring all Myanmar nationals and foreigners travelling to the country to spend 14 days in quarantine facilities upon arrival starting Wednesday.

Foreign nationals, including diplomats and UN personnel working in Myanmar, must also present laboratory evidence of no COVID-19 infection, issued no more than three days before the date of travel, before travelling to the country, the ministry’s statement said. . Diplomats and United Nations employees are subject to a two-week home quarantine.

Mandalay’s Restrictions

Meanwhile, authorities in the central Myanmar city of Mandalay imposed restrictions on tourists on Tuesday and ordered shops to close and restaurants to only accept takeaway orders after two confirmed cases of COVID-19.

They also sealed off the compound of the Mandalay Palace, known in Burmese as the Myo Nam Shan Kyaw Palace, and prohibited soldiers and their families from leaving the area unless there was an emergency.

Soldiers are checking the temperature of those who need to enter the compound and asking them to wash their hands.

“People from all over the country have been visiting the Miaonan Mountain Jue Palace,” said Colonel Suo Jiqing, spokesman for the Central Regional Military Headquarters. “We have restricted visitors because two people in the country have tested positive.”

“It’s not a total lockdown,” he added. “We will reopen when the number of virus cases starts to decrease.”

Mandalay Region Chief Executive Aung Mon Latt said the government’s order applies to all stores.

“The Mandalay Regional Government ordered the jewellery market to be closed until March 26, but we will close it until then as two people have tested positive [for the coronavirus],” said Kyaw Kyaw Oo, a businessman at the Gem and Jewelry Trading Center in Mandalay City, where many Chinese tourists shop.

“We’re trying not to have a bunch of people in the market,” he said.

Meanwhile, medical staff at Mandalay General Hospital have released 35 patients who were being monitored for Covid-19 infection, said Dr. Susud, director of the Mandalay General Hospital.

Seven other people are still under surveillance, she added.

According to Myanmar’s Ministry of Health and Sports, a total of 212 people are under observation for suspected coronavirus infection.

As of Tuesday, there have been nearly 417,000 confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide and nearly 18,600 deaths.

Reported by Pai Momin and Kaymani Win for the RFA Myanmar service. Translated by Khin Khin Ei and Khet Mar. Written in English by Roseanne Gerin.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button