Difference Between eTA, TRV and Visitor Records | Canadian Permanent Residents! Toronto immigration, marriage, work visa information | TORJA


If you are Japanese and have visited Canada as a tourist, I believe you have already obtained an eTA. On the other hand, you may also hear the terms “TRV” and “Visitor Record”. In recent years, as I have been reading customer inquiries and inquiries, I have the impression that few people understand the difference between them accurately. This monthly issue will explain these in an easy-to-understand manner.


eTA stands for Electronic Travel Authorization. This is a travel permit that people who enter Canada by air and hold a national passport of a “visa-free country” recognized by the Canadian government must obtain a travel permit in advance before entering Canada, which means proof. More than 60 countries have been designated as “visa-free countries”, mainly including Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Singapore, etc. Therefore, nationals of Japan who are designated as visa-exempt countries cannot enter Canada without a valid eTA.

  • Apply online. The application fee is $7.
  • Reviews typically take hours to weeks.
  • In rare cases (for reasons such as past visa refusal history), the review of the application may take several months.
  • For Japanese applicants, the exam is administered by the Canadian Embassy in the Philippines.
  • Your eTA is linked to your passport. Valid for 5 years.
  • If your passport expires within 5 years, your eTA will also expire.
  • If you renew your passport while it has expired, your eTA will also expire and you will need to reapply.
  • Since eTA is a rule confirmed by airline staff when boarding, if you do not have a valid eTA at that time, you will be denied boarding.
  • If you are entering Canada by land (for example from the US), you do not need an eTA, but you must have been to the US.

It is important to note that having an eTA does not guarantee entry into Canada. In some cases, you can enter the country simply by swiping your passport through a KIOSK machine, while in other cases, you will be allowed or denied entry after going to a CBSA or IRCC officer for inspection.


TRV is an acronym for Temporary Resident Visa. Some people call it a visitor’s visa, but formally speaking, it is a visa that holds a passport from a “visa-requiring country” and applies to an embassy or consulate outside Canada in advance, specifying the purpose, location and duration of the visit. stay. This will be a visa approved by the following agencies. This is not a paper visa, but the procedure is to submit the original passport to the embassy or consulate immediately after approval, and affix the TRV sticker. For your reference, countries that require visas mainly include Afghanistan, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Vietnam, Pakistan, Russia, Ukraine, etc.

As far as sightseeing is concerned, if you can obtain a TRV, you can enter the country, but if you want to work or study, you must obtain a work permit or study permit in addition to the TRV. Also, even if you have a valid work permit or study permit, if you leave Canada while your TRV is expired, you will be denied boarding to Canada until you obtain a valid TRV again.

Visitor Record

Visitor records are paper visas. The three cases that are emitted are:

  1. CBSA or IRCC officers at the border will add to the problem if you are in Canada for longer than 6 months (for example, if one of your parents has a work or study permit and you are in Canada as an accompanying person for the same period).
  2. If you entered Canada with an eTA and wish to extend your stay beyond 6 months, you can apply for an extension online. IRCC in Edmonton will review and, if approved, issue a paper visitor record and mail it to your home or representative.
  3. Canadian online reinstatement applications will be reviewed by IRCC in Edmonton. If your fix is ​​approved, we will issue a paper visitor record and send it to your home or representative.

In either case, the expiration date will be clearly marked and you will only be able to stay in Canada until that date.


This month, I detail three differences. Be careful when talking to family, friends, and professionals (licensed immigration consultants and attorneys) because everyone is completely different. Note that the situation for Japanese nationals does not apply to those from countries that require a visa.

Aya Kawakita

Aya Kawakita

Canadian Government Licensed Immigration Consultant Aya K. Representative of Immigration Service CompanyAfter studying various laws other than immigration law, he studied practical work at a well-known immigration law firm. In 2009, he started his business after obtaining the national immigration consultant certification. We propose plans for obtaining visas and immigration while negotiating with our clients. In addition to individuals, there are also many large Japanese corporate clients. Website: Email: Phone: 416-890-4303


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button