Announced six new one-star restaurants, ten new Bib Gourmand restaurants, and four new Green Star restaurants
Six restaurants in California were awarded one Michelin star for the first time at the Michelin Guide Revealed July 18 at the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland.
The fifth edition of the “Michelin Guide California” released by Michelin included a total of 614 restaurants. These include 15 Green Star Awards for leadership in sustainable development practices. There are only 17 Green Stars in North America, 15 of which are in California.
The California Guide is the statewide edition of the acclaimed Global Restaurant Guide, featuring globally recognized star designations, as well as hundreds of Bib Gourmand and plate recommendations.
Restaurants included in the new guide hail from dozens of California cities, including Los Angeles, Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, San Francisco, San Francisco Peninsula, Oakland, Sacramento, Monterey, Santa Barbara, Napa Valley, Somalia Norma County, Palm Springs, Orange County and San Diego.
California features include:
• Six new one-star restaurants in San Francisco, Calistoga, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Long Beach and Oceanside
• 10 new Bib Gourmand winners, recognizing restaurants offering great food at affordable prices
• Four new Green Star recipients, located in San Francisco, Long Beach, Oakland and Los Angeles
• Special awards are given to:
– Michelin Sommelier Award: John Haffey, Eggplant by the Sea, Carmel
– Michelin Award for Outstanding Cocktail: Austin Hennelly, Kato Los Angeles
– Michelin Young Chef Award: Harrison Cheney, Sons & Daughters in San Francisco
– Michelin Distinguished Service Award: John Schafer, SingleThread, Healdsburg
All restaurants are reviewed and awarded according to Michelin’s proprietary and independent inspection and selection process.
Caroline Beteta, President and CEO of Visit Cal, released the following statement, praising the restaurants and chefs. “California has always had a trendsetting dining scene, from our legendary chefs and cutting-edge restaurants to an abundance of fresh local ingredients and global flavors that reflect our diverse culture. It provides global recognition for every chef and restaurant.”
“From three-star restaurants to Bib Gourmand spots to incredible Green Star restaurants leading the way in sustainable cuisine, the Golden State has so much to experience and taste for travelers from around the world.”