The old American travel media Travel + Leisure announced the 2023 edition of the world’s most popular city rankings.
Among the top 25 selected popular cities, three Japanese cities, Kyoto, Tokyo, and Osaka, made the list.
With many cities in Mexico and Asia featured at the top of the ranking, it appears that the region is highly regarded for its unique culture, natural beauty and friendliness of its people.
Sign up for the e-mail magazine that provides the latest inbound knowledge from “Visit Japan Lab”
Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka among top 25 most popular cities in the world
According to the 2023 edition of the “World’s Most Popular Cities Ranking” released by Travel and Leisure, Mexico has the most cities in the top 25, with 5 cities on the list.
Among them, the state of Oaxaca won the first place for the second consecutive year after 2022. Travel & Leisure lists Oaxaca’s attractions, including restaurants and bars where you can enjoy local food and traditional alcohol, and hotels where you can experience the unique atmosphere of the region.
In Japan, three cities, Kyoto, Tokyo and Osaka, ranked top, and Thailand, Italy and Portugal ranked two cities each.
The following is the ranking of the most popular cities in the world in 2023.
- Oaxaca (Mexico): 93.53 points
- Udaipur (India): 93.33 points
- Kyoto (Japan): 92.06 points
- Ubud (Indonesia): 91.73 points
- San Miguel de Allende (Mexico): 91.19 points
- Mexico City (Mexico): 90.55 points
- Tokyo (Japan): 90.30 points
- Istanbul (Türkiye): 90.23 points
- Bangkok (Thailand): 89.99 points
- Mumbai (India): 89.79 points
- Chiang Mai (Thailand): 89.49 points
- Florence (Italy): 89.48 points
- Luang Prabang (Laos): 89.44 points
- Marrakech (Morocco): 89.24 points
- Rome (Italy): 88.91 points
- Merida (Mexico): 88.81 points
- Siem Reap (Cambodia): 88.80 points
- Singapore: 88.78 points
- Charleston (USA): 88.63 points
- Lisbon (Portugal): 88.62 points
- Santa Fe (USA): 88.47 points
- Hobart (Australia): 88.44 points
- Guadalajara (Mexico): 88.13 points
- Porto (Portugal): 88.09 points
- Osaka (Japan): 88.05 points
Japan’s rankings are “Kyoto: 3rd”, “Tokyo: 7th”, and “Osaka: 25th”. The number of cities ranked TOP25 is second only to Mexico.
Compared with the popular city rankings in 2023 and 2022, Osaka’s ranking has dropped by about 16 places, but Kyoto and Tokyo have risen into the top 10. (Kyoto: 14th → 3rd, Tokyo: 12th → 9th)
According to Travel and Leisure, Kyoto, Tokyo and Osaka are highly rated for:
- Kyoto: Culture and attractions different from Europe and the United States, traditional and delicious food, natural beauty, etc.
- Tokyo: Michelin-starred ramen restaurants, luxury/new hotels with good locations, etc.
- Osaka: Friendly locals even without speaking English, good public transport
The world’s most popular cities are ranked based on factors that affect the quality of the travel experience, such as attractions/landmarks, culture, food, friendliness, shopping and price. By looking at the top-ranked cities, it may be possible to get an idea of what kind of travel experience foreigners visiting Japan are looking for.
- Respondents: Travel and Leisure Readers
- Number of Respondents: About 165,000
- Survey implementation period: October 24, 2022 to February 27, 2023
- Evaluation indicators: attractions/landmarks, culture, food, friendliness, shopping, price
- Rating: excellent, above average, average, below average, poor
Are you having difficulties with entry measures?
At “Visit Japan Lab”, consultants familiar with immigration affairs will answer inquiries about attracting inbound customers and reception facilities!
Consulting visit to the laboratory
“Travel + Leisure”: “Travel + Leisure” readers’ favorite 25 world cities in 2023
Travel + Leisure: The 25 Best Cities in the World
Travel + Leisure: Best of Travel + Leisure Worldwide Awards: Methodology
Featured Articles and Seminar Presentations
At Visit Japan Labs, we publish the latest reports and conduct workshops to support those responsible for immigration countermeasures in addressing their concerns and questions.
Governance of water issues, outbreak of “boycott movement” in China… What is the prospect of “traveling to Japan”?
In recent days,China inbound trends change directiondid. So far, the number of people has recovered steadily, with about 100,000 new people added every month. We have stopped all Japanese seafood imports.
Some extremists even proposed to “temporarily suspend travel to Japan”.International travel may also be affectedHere’s the look. Where will the inbound market go in the future?
→ look at this article
A must see for new entry managers! From basic information to the latest data, a comprehensive understanding of “entry measures” 【Visit Japanese laboratory supervision】
On May 8, 2023, the new crown virus was finally transferred to category 5, and entry is expected to resume seriously. However, there are also many people who are distressed, “Where should I start with the entry measures?”
Therefore, mov Co., Ltd., which is responsible for the visit of the Japanese laboratory, produced a report summarizing the “basis of entry measures” and showing the “first step” of entry measures. After reading this report, you have mastered the entry knowledge you should know!
→ look at the documentation
It’s time to relearn the basics of inbound! “Inbound Textbook” that can only be read here
“Review Academy”, an online school “Review Academy” that is completely free to study anytime, anywhere, on the way to work or during test preparation, through the optimization of smartphones, we released the “Inbound Textbook” laboratory written by visiting Japan.
In “Inbound Teaching Materials”, we have prepared data classified by country and prefecture, as well as enrichment lessons that allow you to relearn the basics of immigration! In addition, there are a large number of highly reliable and practical content supervised by experts, such as the thorough explanation of “Dianping”, China’s largest word-of-mouth website, which is indispensable in immigration measures, and how to use “Google Maps” to attract customers. “, has attracted much attention in recent years!
【Free】Take a look at “Inbound Textbook”